Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Food Issues

My turn to say hello. I missed seeing everyone last night and wished I had been able to come down to take class. I teach spinning classes on Tuesday's and Thursday's so those nights never work for me. I took my friend's mind/body class to get some yoga in and it just wasn't the same. I tried to approach it in a different way, being mindful of my movements etc. but my head was spinning and I just had too much time to think about other things to stay focused. Not so different from how it feels to meditate right now but I'm working on that too.

In writing down what I am eating every day I've noticed that I'm definitely hooked on the convenience foods right now- lots of Lean Cuisine's for lunch, Odwalla Bars, protein shakes..... I rationalize things saying that I don't do fast food, soda, chips, candy and all that other stuff but I'm still not eating "real" food. I think the problem is that in order to eat whole, unprocessed foods you have to have time to shop and prepare them on a regular basis. Every night that I go to yoga I am gone about 3 1/2 hours because of my travel time so there is very little time left over at the end of the day. So where to go from here........ What has to give in order to make things better when there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room left to play with? Lots to think about. Sending you all good thoughts from Georgia.

Melinda

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

Melinda, those are good comments on the food. I never gave it much thought that protein bars (Odwalla in particular-mmm)aren't "real food." Obviously they aren't though. Thanks.

Wanderin Yogini said...

I know what you mean about the convenience foods... for me it is just a matter of eating the EXACT same thing day in and day out.

What I am especially focusing on this week is how I feel with my "regular" diet. Recording that and seeing where there is room for improvement. Like replacing an apple or bananna for a protein bar, and throwing some nuts in there.

Being on the road is tough, but there is a fridge at M Body if you need to bring something to keep fresh before your long trek home!

XO

Melinda said...

I did not know there was a fridge there. VERY good to know. I often pack a small cooler in the car just incase. I think of Odwalla bars as better than a candy bar but still not as far as good as I could be. BUT I have to be willing to compromise because if I spend too much time in the kitchen, then I have less time to do yoga and I don't want to make that sacrifice. Chrissy, still smiling at the thought of meeting you on Monday night. You are a joy and you have the best energy. I'm looking forward to seeing you in class this weekend. Off to yoga here in town for the last time this week. So wish I was there with you all.